Wednesday, September 30, 2009

If I Ran the Zoo 1; More on the Web

If you've ever read a comic book blog, every one has a column on characters they don't like and want to get rid of. Well, I've decided to do something different. I would like to discuss how the lame characters can be improved.
So this brings me to the recent revamp of Archie hero, the Web. As it turns out, I like the revamp more than I though I would. Unfortunately, I got the idea for this before I read the comic so you're all going to read about it.
My take on the character is an expansion of his 1960s status quo. Basically, the Web was a henpecked husband who would go out and fight crime despite the protestations of his nagging wife.
This premise could easily be updated for the twenty-first century. Here's my idea. The Web is really John Raymond, who spent a brief career as a super-hero in his youth. He was never any thing more than a C-lister, fighting crimes with his fists and getting beaten up more often then not. As he grew up, he settled down, got a real job, and married the love of his life.
It was all downhill from there. As the years went by, John and his wife, Rose, began to drift apart. Their marriage has become monotonous. The romance is gone and they constantly fight with one another. One night, John storms out after a particularly bad argument and, to vent some steam, he puta on his old costume one last time. This time, though, John stumbles on to the headquarters of an actual super villain and, through sheer luck, beats him. Now John has possession of the villain's relatively advanced technology and, after that big fight, it would be a shame to let it go to waste. The more his John Raymond's marriage worsens, the more the Web shows up to fight crime. Worse, his wife has developed a fixation on his alter ego.
And that's when things start getting complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment