Saturday, June 15, 2013

Thoughts on the Man of Steel

Actual conversation I had with my father about Man of Steel:

Dad: "How was the movie?"
ME: "It's the best Superman movie ever made."
Dad: "That bad, huh."

As you've probably guessed by now, the Christopher Reeves Superman films are not exactly regarded as cinematic breakthroughs around the house. (Yes, yes, I know people who will defend Christopher Reeves' portrayal of Superman in the first movie. To which my rebuttal is that Gene Hackman's utterly terrible portrayal of Lex Luthor has completely and utterly eclipsed any aspects of the movie that I might have otherwise enjoyed. Although, taking my fading recollection, I don't think there was much about that movie that I thought was that great otherwise.)

Actually, Man of Steel was pretty awesome. I think it's the first Superman movie to really capture that sense of awe that regular people would feel if  they lived in a universe where Superman actually existed. A combination of "Oh, my God. That dude's flying! That's awesome!"  and "Holy Shit! This completely contradicts everything I believed about the universe and the laws of nature.  I'm scared. Hold me."

No comments:

Post a Comment